$2,500 Tax Refund from 2009 Stimulus Package

With all of the talk about the $250 2009 stimulus checks going out recently, there is a way for many of you to save money and get back a large refund this next April from this recently passed stimulus package.

One of the parts of the stimulus package was to provide a $2,500 tax credit, per student for this year.  It isn’t a stimulus check but the value of it much greater then the $250 stimulus check going out this year or the $600 / $1200 stimulus check from last year.

What this $2,500 tax credit is a higher education tax credit that can be claimed by anyone going to college this year, or by parents paying for their son or daughter’s college tuition.  There is nothing that you need to do special to fill out to apply for this, you already are eligible for this stimulus tax credit.

This tax credit will be a line on your 2009 tax return when you fill out your taxes for 2009 this coming April.  The best part is, if you have more then one kid in school and you are still claiming them on your tax return, you can get a $2,500 tax credit for each one of them.

This is a tax credit, so you won’t necessarily get a “stimulus check” type check in the mail, unless you file your taxes and you didn’t owe any taxes, in which case you would get check up to $1000 from the IRS.

To qualify you have to spend at least $4000 in higher education tuition to get the full $2500, or else make sure you spend at least $2,000 to get a $2,000 tax credit.

There are rules to who is not eligible, those making over $90,000 a year  or $180,000 jointly are not eligible and neither is anyone who is a student that has a felony drug conviction.

This may not be a stimulus check, however, it will help stimulate the economy this year through this following tax season.

This entry was posted in Stimulus, Stimulus Check, Stimulus Package and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to $2,500 Tax Refund from 2009 Stimulus Package

1. Mike Harmon says:

I found your site on technorati and read a few of your other posts. Keep up the good work. I just added your RSS feed to my Google News Reader. Looking forward to reading more from you down the road!

2. Bradley Earl Lesher says:

I can’t remember what address you sent my last “Stimulus” check to, but I haven’t received my 2009 check yet!

P.S. I’m unemployed and could really use the money now. My last check was for $600, this one should be the same. God Bless!

3. SANDRA M CLOWERS says:

DID ANY BODY GET A LETTER CONCERNING THE SECON CHECK? WELL I DID NOT. AM I STILL ABLE TO GET IT

4. Theresa Peacock says:

I just want to say that I think Pres.Obama lied about sending everyone a check when he gets into office lokk how long that’s been and we haven’t seen anything yet.Also why should people who receive disability recieve a check first they are already recieving a government check so why should they get a stimulus check first that’s crazy.Obama needs to pick it up or he will not be voted for again in 2012.

5. alison1963 says:

I have received nothing about 2nd check and am on va widows pension. Will I receive a check ? I did last time.

6. Larry Lofgren says:

So far 100% of comments are on not receiving checks. In that case i would say i have not heard of anyone receiving a check. i have not gotten a notice on receiving my check either. I should be fully eligible for it.

7. Wendy Browm says:

Theresa my dear there is no need to get personal.I bet if your parents were on SS and received a check….. what you would be jealous of them to.Get a grip you will get it when it comes.

@Larry Not many people are getting the stimulus checks if you look at the top number of people in the united states. Pretty much only the elderly are getting stimulus checks this summer. Out of the elderly a large % of those are getting stimulus money.

For the working class people tend to either forget or discount the tax break that Obama started that is $400/year or $800/year married. because it is only $20/week instead of a one time lump sum stimulus check people don’t like the idea as much.

@alison If you haven’t heard by June 4th if you are you getting a stimulus check or not, contact va office then.

10. Tammy says:

I have heard of folks who say they are getting a stimulus check… But I’ve heard nothing about myself… whether I receive one or not.

11. Vera says:

For the student tax credit/Stimulus money- Do students who recent graduated (January 2009) qualify for in during our 2009 Taxes? My understanding was yes- if we took federal Loans.

Also- just confirming we wouldn’t have to do anything extra, besides file. Is this correct?

Thanks!

@Vera you should still qualify because you were a student in 2009, even though you did graduate in 2009.

@Tammy if you are on Social Security you are going to get a stimulus check

14. michael says:

I went to school and got state certified. I am collecting disability.vocational rehabilitation sent me to school and paid for it. Will l get a stimulus check? If so about how much will I receive.