2010 Stimulus Check & 2009 Stimulus Check

...Information about the 2010 Stimulus Check

2009 Stimulus Check

Written by admin on May 30th, 2009

In the recent stimulus package passed by President Obama earlier this year, otherwise known as the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, Obama provided many forms of stimulus and stimulus checks to provide the economy.  The only mentions of a 2009 stimulus check for the American public were in two places in the recently passed Stimulus bill.

The first is a 2009 stimulus check for those on social security incomes, military pensions and railroad pensions.  This is a $250 2009 stimulus check that is a one time payment similar to the 2008 stimulus check that President Bush issued last year.  To qualify for the 2009 stimulus check you had to have already been on social security by the end of 2008 to receive your 2009 stimulus check in May 2009.  If you started your social security income January 1, 2009 or later you do not qualify for this years stimulus check.  However if there is a 2010 stimulus check similar to how the 2009 stimulus check worked you would qualify next year for that stimulus check.

The second part of the 2009 stimulus check is a tax rebate that amounts to $400 if you are single or $800 if you are married over the course of 2009.  Starting in April 2009 the government is lowering the taxes withheld from your paychecks to the amount of about about $20/week so that over the course of the year it would amount to $400 (or $800).  This is the only 2009 stimulus check that is available to those that are working.  The 2009 stimulus check is essentially a $400 check paid over the course of the year.

This 2009 stimulus check that is being paid out weekly via a tax rebate will be in effect for 2010 as well.  The amount of the money making up the 2010 stimulus check on a weekly basis is less then this years $20/week because it is spread out over the course of the entire year instead of 8 months.

There is not a singular 2009 stimulus check for those on employment, it is split up into several incentives.  President Obama provided the following ways to help those on unemployment through the 2009 stimulus package.

Longer unemployment benefits – The stimulus bill adds an additional 20 weeks of unemployment benefits for those on unemployment. If you live in one of the 30 states are considered a high unemployment rate state, you will qualify for an additional 13 weeks of unemployment benefits on top of the 20 already provided.

Tax exemption – Normally those on unemployment have to pay taxes on all benefits they receive during the course of the year, either weekly or at the end of the year at tax season.  The 2009 stimulus package states that the first $2,400 of unemployment benefits are tax free and will be exempt from all federal income taxes.  This would make for a $2,400 2009 stimulus check that is freed money paid to those on unemployment.

Increased weekly unemployment payments – The 2009 stimulus package is increasing temporally the weekly unemployment payouts by $25/week.

COBRA Insurance – The US Government as part of the 2009 stimulus package is subsiding 65% of the COBRA payments for those that were laid off from work between Sept 1,2008 and Dec. 31, 2009.  There is also an additional 60 day period that people can sign up for COBRA after they have been laid off.

78 Comments so far ↓

@ Frizzel what kind of group were you with that you should have gotten a stimulus check this year from?

2. if my first ssi check was february, do i qualify for a check this year

3. liz says:

i think that we need to get an extra check and people in washington can go with out there fansty cars and live how we do for a week they could not make it with out money but they are the ones who have all the money and leave us to work twice as hard and for what we need help and washington is not helping they are hurting us!!!!

4. liz says:

i think we need a new system that helps needy and f### the rich they not need help we are the ones hurting we are the ones who work hard we are the ones who need it the most we are the ones no takes a second look at why because we work and we have nothing to show for it we live pay check to pay check and try to give our selfs a better life but because of washington and the presadent we are suffering we need to make a stand and let them big shots in washington know that we need help and they need to do somehting

5. Audra says:

My mother n law said she heard about a stimulus package if you have bought a in the last 3-5 years you will get a $6,500.00? Is there something out there like that or just a rumor?

6. Laqwandala says:

I do think that the middle and low class should recieve a stimulus check this year not the rich and the people that already have or recieveing money im a single parent with 3 kids and im am struggling tryen to take care of my kids alone n waiting on my housing it is a 2year waiting list and i have my 2 year cumen up in april n now since amarillo have to wait on funds i have to wait anutha year now n i dnt think that is fair that obama promise us that he would help the low n middle class and he aint doin wat he said he is goin to do thats ok cause GOD dont like ugly so obama knows wht he needs n got to do

7. when will these checks be mailed out?

8. Nicole says:

What happens if I have never even recieved my stimulus check ?????

@Nicole it depends, if you receive social security, you will need to contact them about your 2009 stimulus check. if you are a ex rail road worker or a veteran, then you will need to contact those offices for your stimulus check for 2009.

10. lise says:

I think that the working people should get some money back..We work hard and its not fare that they take our money..I have a job but i barely make it a week as it is..and its getting harder everyweek..

11. kelly says:

i think this is unfair the job i work for doesn’t take out taxes just socail security so if i’m not paying in taxes then the government take an extra 20 dollars a week so me and the people that work with are s.o.l. and thats not right there ought to be checks sent out like last year

12. paula nelson says:

my husband (paul)nor i have recieved any stimulus check since 08–what should we do???

13. gary bailar says:

my tax man says that since i’m self-employed(farmer) i won’t receive a stimulus tax break for 2009,only people on ss and people who get a paycheck are eligable,that don’t seem right.is he wrong?

14. Cheryl says:

The government should send out stimulus checks to individuals who worked. I worked all year as a Home Health Aide, so I need not say I did’t earn much, but I worked. I have my masters degree,(MPA yet I can not find an agency that is hiring,I am either over qualified or under qualified,plus several years of experience. Single mother raising three young boys in the South Bronx. I took several steps back in order to keep an income coming in the home. Still in all I was evicted from my apartment, slept in a car, landed in the NY shelter system, their I earned my Masters, moved into a building run by the world biggest slum lord. But its a roof, I filed my taxs 2009, and guess what I got a letter, saying that all of my refund was going toward an offset. I wanted to hit the roof, I worked 12 hours shifts 8am-8pm monday-friday away from my boys, struggling to keep afloat, and I get a letter, the nerve, the gall, it was only five thousand, but the boys and myself were looking foward to using that money to move to a better building.How can this government take money from poor people who are struglling to make it from one day to the next. I would like to see George Bush, Bill Clinton,Condolisa Rice,Bill Gates, Donald Trump,President Obamaa Come and spend a week in the building where live withmy children.There is a saying that goes “A general can see his throups trough the trenchs, without seeing the trenchs firshand. A general must see the fileds from the feilds and the command tower” (unknown arthor). I really need my stimulus check, I have to get my boys of the this neighborhood. If I recieve another letter saying I don’t qualify for a check, I suck it up as bitter as it will be and continue working for peeny that I won’t get back, only t he rich in this country.

15. Debra says:

I did not get my stimulus check…. so when can I expect it or where can I follow up to explore my options.

16. rockspaper says:

I was standing on the corner asking for change when out of nowhere a man ask me had I got a stimilas check. I said no that I hadn’t gotten one and yes that I did won’t one. So this guy ask me for some personal info and gave me a phone # and told me to call Jan. 29 to get my money. Well I’m homeless and it rain pretty bad here in LA in Jan. So I lost the #. My question is (is there a way to check on a stimilus check to see if I can locate this guy to get the check.

17. Ashley says:

I want to know what the president is planing on doing to help us low class americans??? I like most people have a hard time taking care of my 3 kids on my own. My ex husband is in prison so I don’t get any support. I think the president needs to make a bill that the government will Pay the prisoners child support until they are released to help parents out, then that prisoner will have to pay them back.. .This would help a lot of single parents out. It’s not our fault that they are locked up so why should we suffer… You want us to support our children or we could lose them to the state, then the state has to pay and the government helps them… Why don’t they just help the parents??? I think any single parent would agree with me.

18. Caroline Brown says:

My Brother in-law visit me and he asked me if I received the 2009 stimulus check.
    I never did received this check and why.

19. lee says:

when will they star getting mailed out and when will you receive them.

20. Amanda says:

Most of my co-workers have recieved their stimulus checks. I am wondering why I have not recieved one!

21. carol says:

if we don’t get a simulus in 2010,will we get our raises back on our monthly cks.ssi

22. I have not received my check as of yet. I wondered if there was a problem?

23. cynthiachargois says:

will i receive a check disable for 2010 went will i get it

24. cynthiachargois says:

what else you need to know

25. scott phillips says:

I got the letter saying $250 was coming to me a few months ago but june is almost over and no check ?

26. Eileen R. ireton /Frederick P. Ireton,Jr says:

To Whom It May It Concern: My husband and I WERE IN Rehab, at the time that checks were issued. I was told that we could not get the checks until we filed our 2009 Taxes. We filed our taxes after we came home. Iam writing to you to see if we can get these checks now. I would appreciate it if you could contact us either by e-mail or phone (978) 957 9029) Thank you , Eileen Ireton

27. Eileen R. ireton /Frederick P. Ireton,Jr says:

will you let us know by e-mail so we can know if we are going to get them. Thank you, Eileen Ireton

28. Bob says:

What a lie!! In the article they said you don’t have to claim the stimulis check on your taxes that it is free money well in 2008 we got the 600 which should have been 900 and when we filed taxes for 2008 our return was exactley 600 short. Our tax returns for 2007 and 2008 were the same nothing had changed. What a lie, this is what I consider being taken advantage of by the government.If you really want to stimulate the economy the all pollitions should give up half of their incomes and get the same health coverage that most americans have unfortunately we are not of the americans that can afford it as matter of fact we are of the high percentage that don’t have employment. Washington state is getting so rediculous with the cost of living that we are the ones living below the poverty level. It makes me sick to hear the news and see how all of congress and the president get to live such a ravishing life styles when the amounts of money they make could be used to keep others going. I have worked in this country for 32 years and could only dream of taking a vacation like most of the rich people get to do. I believe that if all the members of the house and of congress would tithe their moneys wisely we would not have the problems we have. My father told me years ago that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and boy is that not true now a days. I wish we could live just a little bit of the american dream but reality is we will suffer and we will always be the ones that pave the road for the rich to travel on… I really regret rearing children in this place we call america because as our generation is now suffering, our children will have it way harder and frankly we are drowning in this mess right now..

29. pamela wingo says:

I did NOT receive a stimulus check in May, 2009 and did follow all the eligibility guidelines. How can I check on this and receive what I am due???

30. Carmen Torres says:

Am I entitle to receive a stimulus check., I’m currently receiving SSI and I never got one. I have direct deposit and I would like to know how do I go about it in the near future.